Today has brought a lot of news and “tidbits” about arthritis and other forms of rheumatic disease. Some of it is brand-new, other news is older … but still worth sharing.
Here are some recent stories to be made aware of, as of today …
- A CBS article reveals that running doesn’t always lead to, or worsen, knee arthritis … great news for runners!
- It was sadly announced that a Juvenile Arthritis patient, Kassandra Rodriguez of California, has passed away at age 12 due to complications from her autoimmune arthritis and overlap syndrome. Please keep her family and friends in your thoughts, and consider making a donation in her name to help find a cure for JA and other forms of arthritis! May she rest in peace.
- A contestant on “Team CeeLo” on The Voice, named Kat Robichaud, helped to raise some awareness about RA. Her father had rheumatoid arthritis and she sang a song in his memory.
- The Pittsburgh Pirates’ first baseman, Justin Morneau, is a Juvenile Arthritis advocate due to his niece, who was diagnosed at age 2. (And I, for one, am rooting for the Pirates in their big game tonight!)
- Imaging is found to help prevent CVD (cardiovascular disease) in RA patients. It can also predict a risk or predisposition for CVD for those with rheumatoid arthritis. Overall, this ultrasound is a great tool for rheum patients.
- World Arthritis Day is coming up! Just a couple of years ago, Oprah Winfrey tweeted us on WAD, so maybe we will get some good publicity this year, too! The topic for World Arthritis Day (WAD) in 2013 – 2014 is healthy aging for people with rheumatic and musculoskeletal diseases (RMDs) and it will take place on Saturday, October 12th, 2013.
- Massage Envy “Healing Hands for Arthritis” that benefitted the Arthritis Foundation was a great success. Thanks for all who participated!
Stay tuned for a blog post all about autoimmune conditions … and for now, Be Well .. and Be Kind!
What’s YOUR weapon against arthritis?
Follow the Arthritis Foundation, Mid Atlantic Region on Twitter @MidAtlanticAF!
Arthritis is Unacceptable.
Let’s all unite against arthritis. Together, we will achieve the vision of a world free from arthritis